Thursday, December 10, 2009

Online Job Application asks for SSN#???

I started filling out an application with tutor.com to be an online tutor and they ask for my SSN# upfront. This seems kind of suspicious. There is a lock next to the address bar suggesting that it is a secure site but when I have to click on the link to read some agreement, my browser recommends that I not proceed. So I didn't complete the application. My husband thinks that all applications ask for SSN#'s so they can check you out. Does anyone have any advice?



Online Job Application asks for SSN#???say yes



Go to www.bbb.com (Better Business Bureau) to check out any company before doing business with them.



Online Job Application asks for SSN#???palace theatre opera theater



Well, if they are your employer, they'll need your SS# for your taxes...



but I wouldn't just hand my number over to anybody. Identity theft sucks. Someone tried to apply for credit online, using my identity. It's been a mess.
I can understand your hesitancy to release your social security number. There is a lot of identity theft.



Even when the company is legitimate there is an opportunity for someone to steal social security numbers. This has happened with TJ Max and other companies. Millions of social security numbers have bee stolen.



I would suggest that you either complete the application without the social security number or ask your prospective employer why it is needed (it may be needed for a security check)



Good luck, get more information and then make your decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
skin allergy