Thursday, December 10, 2009

Need help deciding Computer Major?

^topic



I love being on the computer everyday, I know how to use many Microsoft Office programs as much as any ordinary college student, but since I'm a somewhat avid gamer, I've toyed around with different file formats, know how to use the Internet Browser well, know its functions alot more than the ordinary Computer user, etc. I've also had decent amount of experience with Flash (animation).



I took up on accounting so far during my second semester in College, but hate it and desperately want to move into a Computer related field. I need help deciding exactly which specific field would be good for someone like me... I don't know much about the actual interior computer parts, but I love being on the Internet Browser, so I was wondering..



Is web development a good career with decent/worthwhile pay? Is it a secure job? What exactly do you need to know/do?



Or is anyone else in a Computer related field and wouldn't mind explaining to me their work (range of pay within field)?thx



Need help deciding Computer Major?concert venue



I am primarily an enterprise web application developer and my job required a 4-year degree in computer science. I majored in software engineering myself. However, I am a coder. If you want to get more into the flashy web design stuff, i.e. giving a site "sizzle" and making it aesthetically pleasing (which I suck at), then you want to get into more of the graphic design and marketing end of things. Don't slack on coding skills though as you will still likely need at least HTML, CSS and javascript. If you still have questions, you should call your academic advisor (most schools assign one to each student) and ask him/her.



Good luck!



Need help deciding Computer Major?events opera theater



Web development is an excellent career, if you're interested in the work. You need to be familiar with HTML, CSS, Javascript, and at least one server language, whether it be PHP, ASP, ASP.NET, etc. as well as working with databases (mySQL, SQL Server, Oracle, etc.)



Having experience in several server languages is a definite plus, as is experience with other browser technologies such as Flash, java, Silverlight, AJAX, SOAP, etc.



The industry is changing rapidly, and technologies will come and go fast. You will need to be prepared to continue to learn new languages to keep up.



I hope this helps!
I don't want to persuade you away from a computing career, but being able to use Microsoft Word and Internet Explorer really doesn't mean anything when it comes to real computer related work. Degrees such as Computer Science or Software Engineering are very math intense and programming intense fields.



Web designers will learn a large number of programming languages (XHTML, JavaScript, Ruby/PHP, MySQL, ASPX, etc). Now, this doesn't mean you can't do it, but there were a lot of people in my freshman computer science classes who thought that computer science had to do with using computers, using Microsoft Word, etc. Comptuer science, instead, has to do with the understanding of how a computer works. How a computer represents data, how this data gets processed and displayed to the user, and how the computer interprets input by the user.



Topics you'd learn in a computer related major would be programming, system's design, database design, software life cycle, computer graphics (NOT photoshop!), etc.



People within my major are recieving job offers of around $50,000 and Computer Science is usually one of the top 5 degree in terms of average salary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
skin allergy